About Me

My photo
I'm a Jesus loving girl who is blessed with an amazing husband and two beautiful children. At the age of 23, while pregnant with my firstborn I noticed a dome shaped nodular area on my left hip. It started growing larger and eventually started bleeding. After the birth of my baby girl and my 24th birthday I decided to get the ugly bump checked. The result was Stage III nodular Malignant Melanoma that had extensions into my lymph nodes. I completed a year of Interferon chemotherapy. a year later I became pregnant with my second child. After his birth I developed two more melanoma primary tumors-- stage 1 2010, and stage 2 in 2011. Since then I have made it my mission to advocate and educate to bring about melanoma awareness in hopes that it could save others from this deadly disease. Thankfully, I am very healthy and doing very well! I have No Evidence of Disease and I'm showing Cancer Who's Boss by staying fit and healthy. I plan to blog about my adventures in running over cancer during training for my first Full marathon Fall 2014. Remember to love your skin, protect your skin, and check your skin. Share the love and spread the chemical-free lotion!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Siesta Key Fl 2012

Siesta Key Florida

 Hello Friends, sorry it's been so long! After my trip to Vandy in  June we decided to take a week long trip to lovely Siesta Key Florida.  I know some may be thinking "why would a melanoma patient want to go to the beach?" Because it's the most tranquil amazing place there is to me.  When I see the ocean, the intricate detail of the sea shells, and all of creation I am in awe of how Big and Awesome our God is.  Plus,  I refuse to let Melanoma control my life! Just because i'm a three time survivor to lethal melanoma doesn't mean I have to be a hermit and never go outside, I just have to play it safe!  we avoid the sun during the hours of 10am til 4pm and do our indoor activities at that time.  I find that shopping is more fun during the day and eating out for lunch is usually a lot cheaper than dinner.  while at the beach we create shade with a UPF canopy. we cover ourselves head to toe in natural sunscreen spf 30+ (re-apply every two hrs), grab a hat and sunglasses before we ever step foot outside. I love the sun protective clothing as well which is great when your in a hurry.



This was the first time we've ever took a week long vacation and the first time going to Florida as a family. I must say this was definitely a trip to remember. We arrived on June 23 the same day Tropical Storm Debby made way her to the Florida coast. She was quite a doozy!!! Severely Strong winds, prickly needle like torrential rain, flooding, and Tornados. We tried to make it down to the beach several times and every time it would start raining until eventually the entire beach was flooded...the coast line was covered in water!!! Even the streets were flooded with roads completely under water. Thankfully we had board games and lots of food in our condo. Yep, not our ideal of a Beachy vacation but our motto for the week was "NO DEBBY DOWNERS"!!! We were NOT gonna let "mean ole Debby" as Livi called her, ruin our vacation.   After the storm passed there was a lot of clean up to do on the beach but the wind was calm, the sky was the bluest blue, and the ocean peaceful again.  And the Sun was shining Bright!!!  We not only shared the love and spread the lotion, but we also shared our shade with a guy that was beginning to look like a roasted lobster.  Please be safe and protect the natural skin you were born with whether it be Pale, Olive, dark, or in between.  Embrace your natural skin tone and go tan free.  Remember if you have skin, then you can get skin cancer. Sunburns are no fun and Melanoma is definitely not fun so Share the Love and Spread the lotion:-)

The Beach Flooded

Streets Flooded

The Wind was Crazy


Livi playing in the shade


Andrew Playing in the shade

No comments:

Post a Comment