About Me

My photo
I'm a Jesus loving girl who is blessed with an amazing husband and two beautiful children. At the age of 23, while pregnant with my firstborn I noticed a dome shaped nodular area on my left hip. It started growing larger and eventually started bleeding. After the birth of my baby girl and my 24th birthday I decided to get the ugly bump checked. The result was Stage III nodular Malignant Melanoma that had extensions into my lymph nodes. I completed a year of Interferon chemotherapy. a year later I became pregnant with my second child. After his birth I developed two more melanoma primary tumors-- stage 1 2010, and stage 2 in 2011. Since then I have made it my mission to advocate and educate to bring about melanoma awareness in hopes that it could save others from this deadly disease. Thankfully, I am very healthy and doing very well! I have No Evidence of Disease and I'm showing Cancer Who's Boss by staying fit and healthy. I plan to blog about my adventures in running over cancer during training for my first Full marathon Fall 2014. Remember to love your skin, protect your skin, and check your skin. Share the love and spread the chemical-free lotion!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

May Milestones

Hello Friends, Over the last couple of weeks so much has happened in our lives.  So many amazing milestones to celebrate and i'm so thankful to be alive, not only to witness but to feel with every part of my heart.  On May 3, 2012 I celebrated my 30th birthday.  While some may hate getting older I choose to embrace it.  I'm thankful for each year i'm alive and humbly feel so fortunate when so many are clinging onto every second they have left.  Life is beautiful, please don't waste it when so many are fighting to have just one more moment.  May 13 was a very special and hard day all in one.  First of all it was mothers day, which  also marked 3 months since my dear friend Joe passed away from melanoma and a very difficult day for Joe's mom.  Joe and His mother Leona had a very special bond...one that all of us mothers long to have with our sons. They were very close and the best of friends.  I remember just a few weeks before Joe passed away, I was sitting with him and his mom at hospice.  Joe walked over to his mom, held her so tight and said ,"Your the best Mom in the world...I love you so much." I know Joe is so proud of his momma and is giving her all honor.  He told us there would be days that would be hard but just "look up to the sky and you'll know i'm smiling down on you."  
Joe and His Momma


This year for mothers day both of my kids made framed handprints so I could always remember the size of their tiny hands.  The best mother's day gift of all was when a couple weeks ago my little six year old, who just graduated from Kindergarten asked to be baptized.  She said she couldn't wait to let everyone know that Jesus is in her heart. My baby girl is wise beyond her years.  When I had a recurrence last January she cried out to God "heal my mommy's  boo boo's cause I don't want to have to get a new mommy."  those words just broke my heart.  I've also heard her pray boldly for Joe and others who are battling cancer.  My girl is a little prayer warrior. She loves to read stories about Jesus more than anything.  Just the other day we were praying for those struggling and thanking God for all He's doing for us and after I finished praying Liv said, "mom I want more of Him."  I was a little confused about what she was meaning until she began to pray "Dear God, I love you so much thank you for all you do in my life. I love you and I want to know more about you Big guy." If we could just humble ourselves and be like little children. Matt 18:4 "Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  I am so proud of my big girl!
Andrew and Livi's Hands 2012

May 13, 2012


May 18 was another huge milestone in our lives.  It was mine and Aaron's 10 Year Wedding Anniversary. We had originally planned on taking a weekend trip to celebrate but two and 1/2 weeks ago I had to have another surgery.  On may 2nd I had a wide excision, where a 3 inch hole was cut out of my hip.  A week later I developed an infection and this week I managed to bust my stitches.  Since I'm having some wound healing issues we decided it wouldn't be a good idea to go on a trip since I can't even sit in a hot tub with an open wound. Maybe in a few weeks we will get to make that trip.  I am so blessed to be married to my best friend who is an example of Christ's love. Although I didn't think our marriage would consist of him cleaning and bandaging surgical wounds for the past 5 years, with what seems like every three months I can't imagine anyone I'd rather dress up my bandages:-) My husband has been such a trooper and loves me scars and all.  I can remember back 10 years ago to our younger selves.  I just turned 20 and Aaron was 25.  We were so in love that we didn't care if we lived in a cardboard box as long as we had each other.  We were both full time college students and didn't make a lot of money. Aaron actually sold his car to help pay for our wedding.  I worked as a gymnastics coach and Aaron stocked shelves at the local save-a-lot.  We didn't have much but we were rich on love and passionate about Jesus.  Even though we were young I remember talking with Aaron about loving him in the good times and bad...In sickness and in Health.  But when you talk about those things during premarital counseling you don't think it's something your going to be dealing with in your twenties.  you think cancer happens when your old and after you've lived your life.  It's not something you think about when your pregnant with your first born.  After having cancer three times, I can tell you at times I have been unloveable.  During chemo I was very sick and Im sure I wasn't the most pleasant person to be around.  If Aaron could tell you his side of the story He would tell you he endured months of depression while I was sick.  He had a newborn baby and a wife undergoing chemo not the most idea situation to be in.  Even at the young age of 20 and 25 we picked a song by Selah to be sung by a few of our good friends.  The title of the song is "Press on".   It still amazes me that we picked this song to be sung in our wedding.  I believe God was preparing us for what we were going to be facing in the next few years of our young marriage.
Lyrics o Press On:
When the valley is deep
When the mountain is steep
When the body is weary
When we stumble and fall

When the choices are hard
When we're battered and scarred
When we've spent our resources
When we've given our all

Chorus:
In Jesus' name, we press on
In Jesus' name, we press on
Dear Lord, with the prize
Clear before our eyes
We find the Strength to press on

In Jesus' name, we press on
In Jesus' name, we press on
Dear Lord, with the prize
Clear before our eyes
We find the strength to press on
To press on
May 18, 2002


This year on our 10 year wedding Anniversary we walked hand in hand with our kids in the survivor lap at Relay for Life.   Then today my hubby surprised me with a couples massage and dinner date. Hopefully I will be healed and ready to make our trip in a couple weeks.  What a way to not only celebrate our love but to also celebrate our life.  Happy 10 years to my love and here's to many many more celebrations.  Friends please be safe in the sun and  don't forget to share the love and spread the lotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment